Tweet
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 1942 Free

I give up with it already

Tried it, uninstalled it. I can see this was awesome game back then but some things should let rest in peace or something. It was a nice retrospective to battlefields roots but that's about it.

Maybe 1942 vets gets more out of it but to me it's just an old game.

I would get more out of it if I could play it. :p

The 2 xpack expansions are there under patches, but they haven't included the shortcuts from the game folder to enable the main pgm to access them. Of course, copying in the shortcuts from a separate off-disk install doesn't work as it then wants the disk inserted.

Plus, of course they've slightly patched it from 1.61 just so we can't install DC, or find existing servers. Classy (as expected).

yep, seems pointless without being able to play native res and not against original disc players

EA mess everything up, even giving away free games

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    This seems like a scam to get more origin users. Can't play with people who actually bought the game? I mean, WTF is this shit? There must be a way to hack it.
    Dude.
    The Origin version coexists peacefully with the non-Origin version; you can have both installed at the same time. Anyone can download the Origin version.

Origin is a decent distribution network. It is miles ahead of putting up a Nullsoft-wrapped installer on Fileplanet, with regards to discoverability. It also gave us a second chance, in case there turned out to be showstopping bugs in the release. Auto-updaters are goodness for developers... and in most cases, also for users.

In order to enable us to make the Origin version we had to update both game clients and game servers. Since we're updating game clients, the old game servers would refuse new game clients entry, based on executable+content MD5 hash. Therefore we chose to give both the new client and the server a new version number.
    In addition, since we know that client v1.612 only works with server v1.612, we chose to enable filtering in the server browser (so, essentially: if you can see a server in the browser, you can play on it - unless you or that server have modified local content)

PunkBuster is not supported in the Origin version. This is because of the compatibility problems that it has on some machines. BF1942 on Origin is released for free but we are not offering any real support - merely directing people to answers.ea.com - therefore we want to get rid of stuff which may cause problems to end-users.

I believe that it should be possible to install mods on top of this version, although we haven't tested it very thoroughly ourselves.
    Mods that add new files, no problem. Mods that edit existing files, probably works. Mods that actually change the game executable - those probably won't work.
    Last edited by MikaelKalms; 11-05-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelKalms View Post
    Dude.
    The Origin version coexists peacefully with the non-Origin version; you can have both installed at the same time. Anyone can download the Origin version.

Origin is a decent distribution network. It is miles ahead of putting up a Nullsoft-wrapped installer on Fileplanet, with regards to discoverability. It also gave us a second chance, in case there turned out to be showstopping bugs in the release. Auto-updaters are goodness for developers... and in most cases, also for users.

In order to enable us to make the Origin version we had to update both game clients and game servers. Since we're updating game clients, the old game servers would refuse new game clients entry, based on executable+content MD5 hash. Therefore we chose to give both the new client and the server a new version number.
    In addition, since we know that client v1.612 only works with server v1.612, we chose to enable filtering in the server browser (so, essentially: if you can see a server in the browser, you can play on it - unless you or that server have modified local content)

PunkBuster is not supported in the Origin version. This is because of the compatibility problems that it has on some machines. BF1942 on Origin is released for free but we are not offering any real support - merely directing people to answers.ea.com - therefore we want to get rid of stuff which may cause problems to end-users.

I believe that it should be possible to install mods on top of this version, although we haven't tested it very thoroughly ourselves.
    Mods that add new files, no problem. Mods that edit existing files, probably works. Mods that actually change the game executable - those probably won't work.
    Thanks for the response. Any chance the expansion packs can be released? I would REALLY REALLY REALLY like to play Secret Weapons again...

BF1942 on Origin is released for free but we are not offering any real support - merely directing people to answers.ea.com - therefore we want to get rid of stuff which may cause problems to end-users.
    Okayy..

soo, did you test the addons in the office? you can not tell me nobody wanted to fly with a jetpack

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Any chance the expansion packs can be released? I would REALLY REALLY REALLY like to play Secret Weapons again...
    Not going to promise anything again this side of christmas, sorry...

Getting CTD... can someone upload their bf1942.exe?

Mikael,
    Thanks for coming on to explain a bit more about what you've done. I know it's free, and that's much appreciated, but it would have been nice to get the expansions working as well, and to be able to play with the existing players.

Any chance of BFV in the future?

Not going to promise anything again this side of christmas, sorry...
    Awww...

What we need now is widescreen support. That's the only reason I stopped playing 1942 in the first place, putting widescreen resolution stretches out the 3D models in the game.
    Last edited by Leopardi; 11-05-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alolo91 View Post
    Only through Origin?

You don't need to have Origin running to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leopardi View Post
    What we need now is widescreen support.
    best i could get working was windowed 1600x1200 i belive.. still better than massive black bars, should suck if you only have 1080 pixels vertical

(menu is still smaller and fixed res but ingame is somewhat usable)

DLded and it and....

This is the BF that we all want. Go back to where it's pretty much perfect.

Some communication comes a long way. Thanks Mikael.

Hey guys, I am geting immediate CTD at launch, anybody care to help me fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by knickn View Post
    soo, did you test the addons in the office? you can not tell me nobody wanted to fly with a jetpack
    We did not perform any serious testing with the addons. There is logic in the game client which deals with CD keys for the expansion packs (I believe those had separate CD keys). It was far from obvious what that part of the code was doing. Therefore we decided to ignore anything that had to do with expansion packs during this development. This was one of the main concessions we had to make, in order to get a functional Origin version of the game in a timely manner.

This is also why some xpack files are present in the current distribution: risk management. The files were present after installing base game + patching to v1.61b. We could remove those, but how do we test that v1.61b isn't reliant on those files in any way? How much time is it worth spending on removing those files?

Pretty fun nice time killer lol

Quote Originally Posted by Whipgeezbrut View Post
    yep, seems pointless without being able to play native res and not against original disc players

EA mess everything up, even giving away free games
    Right...because everyone who bought the game 10 years ago still keeps their dics around all day to play the game.
    MordorHQ Administrator
    SITE RULES | CONTACT US | STAFF | @delta_hawk5

This is also why some xpack files are present in the current distribution: risk management. The files were present after installing base game + patching to v1.61b. We could remove those, but how do we test that v1.61b isn't reliant on those files in any way? How much time is it worth spending on removing those files?
    those minor things like deadlines in the way of the full feature... i somehow know that :/

https://twitter.com/gustavhalling/st...24683795992576
    It's rumored that BF1942 mods works with the origin version OBS! However completely unsupported if issues are encountered!

<3 Awesome! <3

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast