Tweet
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: BF3 Colour Tweaker, what the...?

^ in the next game client

thanks for the link guys! i overlooked this thread! my bad

just wanna throw in again how brilliant it is that finally DICE has made one step forward... only one lol.

If this doesn't get released for the consoles then the Consoles are missing out on some major updates. We didn't get Comm-rose, we didn't get the blue-satellite mini map update and now we will still be sitting with terribad art-direction and blinding contrast.

( inb4 PC players saying that the PC has been getting shafted by DICE since 2008, still isn't an excuse, DICE should stop being such idiots and give both platforms the proper attention )

Quote Originally Posted by MikaelKalms View Post
    There will be a console command for disabling the color grading entirely in the game included with the next PC game client update.
    We believe that turning it off gives no major competitive advantage/disadvantage.
    IRNV scope and a few others which turn the image into greyscale or greenscale don't work properly without color grading and will look real ugly.
    There will be no in-game UI for turning it on/off.
    We are unlikely to handle support questions and bug reports regarding stuff that happens when color grading is disabled.
    Thank you for your time and efforts made on this subject.

I'm grateful for this option and I plan to use it but I just wanted to bring up something so people don't cry/whine when they try it out. When this BF3 Tweaker was first being used there were examples of what maps looked like with the CG turned off, which were good but looked odd on a few maps until other values were modified to brighten and add colors. Since Mikael hasn't clarified what settings we'll be given access to via console commands I'm bringing this up so people don't jump to conclusions on what we are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteArcticFox View Post
    If this doesn't get released for the consoles then the Consoles are missing out on some major updates. We didn't get Comm-rose, we didn't get the blue-satellite mini map update and now we will still be sitting with terribad art-direction and blinding contrast.
    If you care that much about such things, why get a console? I really am curious, not trying to troll.

( inb4 PC players saying that the PC has been getting shafted by DICE since 2008, still isn't an excuse, DICE should stop being such idiots and give both platforms the proper attention )
    Slightly confusing question but is there a console on the console? The PC implementation will involve running commands in the console, so the console is necessary for this obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmesatech View Post
    Thank you for your time and efforts made on this subject.

I'm grateful for this option and I plan to use it but I just wanted to bring up something so people don't cry/whine when they try it out. When this BF3 Tweaker was first being used there were examples of what maps looked like with the CG turned off, which were good but looked odd on a few maps until other values were modified to brighten and add colors. Since Mikael hasn't clarified what settings we'll be given access to via console commands I'm bringing this up so people don't jump to conclusions on what we are getting.
    Yep. BF3 color tweaker did a lot more than just remove the blue tint. Without the ability to adjust saturation and contrast on a per map basis, removing the blue tint will make the game look cartoonish on some if not all maps. Its like Dice were forced to presented us with this gift and promptly forced it up our ass. Good on ya dice

Mikael Thankyou for your effort though, means alot to know someone at dice is standing up for the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    ^ in the next game client
    And will be...?

Yeah but you dont have to launch through battlelog...
    FF

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Crc View Post
    If you care that much about such things, why get a console? I really am curious, not trying to troll.
    Are you saying that he should have known in order to not get a mini-map that is basically an orgy of glow worms, he would have to get a PC? As if a functional mini-map is the type of selling point that drives people to buy PCs over a home console?

I really don't understand your question.

There's no reason consoles should not have a commo-rose. It's been discussed to death. There's no reason not have different mini-map options just like PC has. And honestly designing and coding a UI button to enable/disable color correction cannot possibly be so time-consuming and complex to be prohibitive.

I'd be willing to bet a community member would do 98% of the work within a week if given the resources.
    MordorHQ Moderator - "Tum erat"
    SITE RULES | CONTACT US | STAFF | True Story of BF3 | To New Users

Quote Originally Posted by myth1485 View Post
    Are you saying that he should have known in order to not get a mini-map that is basically an orgy of glow worms, he would have to get a PC? As if a functional mini-map is the type of selling point that drives people to buy PCs over a home console?
    No, but I am genuinely curious as to why people expect to get lots of updates and new features via patches on a console. Traditionally consoles haven't been known for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Crc View Post
    No, but I am genuinely curious as to why people expect to get lots of updates and new features via patches on a console. Traditionally consoles haven't been known for this.
    Maybe because that's what people were told. On multiple occasions.

Even if it meant keeping something out of the PC version, as is the case with Kertz and patches. In contrast CR, mini-map settings, and CC toggle are excluded from the console versions.
    MordorHQ Moderator - "Tum erat"
    SITE RULES | CONTACT US | STAFF | True Story of BF3 | To New Users

Maybe because that's what people were told. On multiple occasions.
    Even if they told us that it doesn't matter, consoles have patch limitations set in place by Microsoft and Sony. It's one of the main reasons we are seeing major patches/changes made through DLC content. Like Lord Crc said, "Traditionally consoles haven't been known for this".

Even if it meant keeping something out of the PC version, as is the case with Kertz and patches. In contrast CR, mini-map settings, and CC toggle are excluded from the console versions.
    You're not missing anything with the CR, it's a pain in the ass. Mini-map setting requires a keybind so I'm not sure what button they can bind that to on the consoles. The option to disable the color grading is an abnormal feature request and considering support for the game doesn't seem to stretch far beyond the DLC patches and server side patches we are extremely lucky to get it. Because there is a console on the PC and the PC version allows for user custom configs they are able to add settings/cvars without too many man hours spent changing code. It's not even going to be menu option, if it was then I would expect it to be on the console versions as well.

This is getting a bit off topic though so you might want to make another thread for it.

//Bah again I wish we could quote reply with their entire post, not just what they added.
    Last edited by blackmesatech; 10-22-2012 at 09:32 PM.

@MikaelKalms Will there be an option in the console for hue and saturation? If not it will only be doable through the FXAA injector which would cause some fps loss...

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyChunky1 View Post
    And will be...?
    Soon ᵀᴹ

After discussing this further with my colleagues, we have decided to not implement this feature. This is the studio’s take on this matter, and I support this decision:

"As a studio, it is extremely important for us at DICE to have a unique identity in our games, not only from a gameplay perspective, but visually as well. While we appreciate that some players might want a slightly different look to the game, we are proud of the visual identity of Battlefield 3 and do not wish to change it."

I apologize for getting anybody’s hopes up, and if you have any further questions on this subject, I will refer back to the above statement.

Haha now this is worth a Fuck You

But mordor you are so negative! FUCK YOU DICE

Anyway as long as I don't get banned I will use colortweaker.
    Last edited by yiyeyigit; 10-23-2012 at 02:47 PM.

After discussing this further with my colleagues, we have decided to not implement this feature. This is the studio’s take on this matter, and I support this decision:

"As a studio, it is extremely important for us at DICE to have a unique identity in our games, not only from a gameplay perspective, but visually as well. While we appreciate that some players might want a slightly different look to the game, we are proud of the visual identity of Battlefield 3 and do not wish to change it."

I apologize for getting anybody’s hopes up, and if you have any further questions on this subject, I will refer back to the above statement.

"As a studio, it is extremely important for us at DICE to have a unique identity in our games,
    inb4 other users identify what kind of identity you're giving to your game.

Quote Originally Posted by yiyeyigit View Post
    Haha now this is worth a Fuck You
    Yep, this time well deserved.

Yep, this time well deserved.
    glad we agree.
    I sure do hope that you're aware how this is going to piss off the community, and i'm not even talking about mordor.
    oh and surely you don't care but i'm off the battlefield boat, do not expect me to buy anything you developed now or in the future.

lol..

A little late for April jokes don't you think?

We still have the Colour Tweaker.

Pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri455 View Post
    We still have the Colour Tweaker.
    Haha true. I don't think it's appropriate to blame Mikael here. This whole matter just shows that he really came here on his own, but eventually wasn't able to achieve anything. Still more than you could say of zh1nt0, plus he gave some insight into the game too.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast